Friday, March 30, 2012

Being Brave in March



So, I had to get this in before the end of the month. I found myself here at the end without doing anything really brave yet. And worse, I couldn’t think of anything. I didn’t audition for the new musical…but that’s another issue. And I can’t use the same brave thing over again (at what point does it quit being brave? When I stop feeling nauseous?)
                Instead I came up with something I could do quickly, but though it involves another person. And it has taken over a week to work myself up to actually do it.
               
I’m letting someone read a book I’ve written. (No one has read anything I wrote since high school, college if you count essays/reports, but either way it’s been a few years.)
                True, it’s easier knowing the person I’m letting read the story. But why have I waited so long? I write these blogs and send them out to the whole world for judgment. But they’re just quick thoughts or sort of diary bits. Mostly ideas that I want to hear another’s opinions. But putting these novels out there seems much scarier. It might be the nature of some of the stories, or that I actually have hopes of publishing them to make a little extra income. And yes, publishing means getting the ultimate judgment – between the reviews and waiting to see if anyone is willing to pay for them. In that case, I really need to have someone else read them. But, since I’ll be using another name, it feels easier to hide behind that other persona.
                But, no matter what, I trust she’ll be both honest and kind. I just have to send the file...ok...*deep breath*...press send.

SEND

2 comments:

  1. I think the easiest thing would be to send your book to others. No shortage of opinions on the internet, and I'm sure people would be more than interested in reading what you have created.
    Be sure to ask them after they give their opinion, as to what they would recommend you strengthen and work further on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I can handle that amount of mass judgement just yet. I'd rather 1st share with people I who trust, value their opinions, and who've already been published, to find out if it's even worthy of continuing on to the next step.
    Hey, it's taken a couple of years to get this far...I have a whole box of stories and outlines.

    ReplyDelete