Well, the theater group here in town, which I’ve already been in a couple of shows, is about to perform “The Diary of Anne Frank”. I auditioned for the show several months ago, but didn’t get a part. And no, that wasn’t as big of a brave moment to me since I’ve been somewhat involved with this group since moving back, and also trying for straight shows is not near as frightening as musicals.
I didn’t get anything in that one either and didn’t think much of it. Though I was one of the few adults at the auditions. Until I was asked last week to help out with the set and props…
‘Of course!’ I said. I love most behind the scenes aspects as much as the onstage stuff. I attended tech meetings and started hunting up 40s era props and set pieces. And impressed the group with a couple of painting to be used outside the attic window saving them the cost of printing giant photos (which was the original plan).
Then, the blow came. When I arrived to help out during a rehearsal, I realized it wasn’t my age or shape that kept me out. But, hey, I’m sure they had more to offer the roles. Then, I heard that several of the cast were asked and begged to be in the show since the director had been so short of available actors.
Trust me; I understand the need for begging and calling in favors when not so many people show for auditions. I do, however, try to cast from the people who actually show up. To continue the pounding, it turned out that some of the original cast had to be replaced since there were “incidents” and no-shows so I got to hear from the director and the AD what a pain the show had been and how many connections they had to use to finally get the cast settled. well, poo.
By this point I’m starting to really wonder about my abilities and how many shows I’ve been in only because of lack of participants. And I was thinking of auditioning for this group’s summer musical, but now I’m doubting I will - which hurts so much. I feel I’m losing something I’ve loved and been obsessed with since I was a kid.
But I’m trying to put in a lot of hours at work and need to figure out some sort of extra income thing anyway. So maybe it’s better to just stick to helping backstage.
Please remember that not everyone has the same opinion as this director! Don't let the actions of a few people dictate what you love. Maybe this is a chance to brush up on some acting exercises to make sure you put the best you forward in the next auditions.
ReplyDeleteOr...Just move back to Iowa where you are one of the ones we call and beg! I never hesitate to put you in a part when I direct. That's not because of your shape or age either, it's because of your talent and work ethic.
What you are feeling right now is one of the reasons we try so hard not to do this in OCT, we have all experienced it before. This suggests that it's not you, it's them. Screw them, their loss really!
The fact that the director and Ad thought nothing of discussing this in front of YOU (as someone who legitimately auditioned) shows their very poor quality...not yours.
ReplyDeleteWallow in the bad feelings for a very little bit, and then take action: let it go, move on, or ask them directly WTH (maybe that'll be a good thing to do right before you leave town for Iowa).