Thursday, March 29, 2012

How Well Do You Know?


Another year has passed since Dad passed. (And I thought it was great to see an Andy Griffith marathon going on today.) So I got Mom, and we went out for a day of shopping (we only bought 2 things!) and dinner at the Cracker Barrel - which is quickly becoming a tradition as it was his favorite restaurant/store and always wanted to go when going in for chemo.
               
The 2 of us had a great day together and talked about some new things that have come up. (nothing serious)  But after a recent, enlightening trip, I’ve begun wondering about the things I may have missed getting to know him. It’s no secret that I’ve always been closer to my mom than dad, but during that trip, I learned a few things that I never knew about her.
                ~Like the fact that she likes HAM radio (???).  At least I know someone she can talk to about it.
                ~She loves whale crackers from the Dollar General…I mean Loves them! (huh.) Something else in common.
~The idea that she wants to get a tattoo - even has a couple of ideas she’s been considering. (Who knew?) Maybe we can one together as a Mommy & me experience. ;P
There were a couple of others, but these were the fun ones.

So with all this learning, we come back to what today was. Discovering that even the people you think you know the best will surprise you with new things or ideas. I always wondered what a lot of my dad’s life was like – growing up the way he did, the physical struggles he had as an adult. Now I wonder what things he would have liked to do, why he only read 3 books in his life, what did his dream garden look like?...
                I’m sorry I won’t know, but I’m looking at the time I still have with Mom, family, my “other” family…even friends.  Because no matter how close you are, hopefully, there are still plenty of fun facts to discover about each other. And you never know how long you have to find them all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment