Friday, May 4, 2012

Being Brave in April


Ok, before I write about my brave April moment, I have a question: what happened to April? I mean, I remember the 1st day of Spring, then suddenly I saw it was May Day. I seemed to have lost some time in the middle there somewhere.

One moment I do remember in the middle somewhere, when I stood up for myself at work. There has been a particular client who has been very troublesome for all of the caregivers. The client is verbally and now physically violent. After a very bad incident, a night of ducking thrown objects, an hour of being threatened by a hidden gun and listening to prayers to god for my death, I decided I had had enough and spoke with the office. They were able to cut me down to only once a week with the interesting person. It seemed to alright. The hardest bit was always putting up with the insanity for 12 hours only to go home, sleep and turn around to do it all over again. It was easier knowing I’d have a break between.

Or so I thought, the very next week took an even worse turn. I called the office and informed them I would not be stepping foot back into that house.

The last time I tried to stand up for myself at work, actually, I don’t remember the last time. Even when I’ve quit jobs, I think and stress over it for days before taking the plunge. The idea of it makes me sick. I’d say I’ve never raised my voice or gotten in someone’s face before, but anyone who attended certain community theater meetings knows better. ;D But in those cases it was really acted out of passion, I didn’t go into the events with the plan of being confrontational.

In this case, I had time to think and still quit, but wasn’t allowed. After a half-hour discussion, I did refuse to put myself in danger any longer and was rewarded with 2 new clients. So my moments of bravery actually came out to be a real benefit. While on the same roll, I even threw out some comments to hopefully help the other caregivers. Because even if all this helps my personal situation, the overall problem still exists. So maybe some things will change to make life better for my co-workers and even the client.

1 comment:

  1. For cases like this, you need to do exactly what you did. Life is too short to be miserable or at risk of injury or death. Wondered if this client was suffering from alzheimers or dementia. Seems like violence comes with both of those conditions.

    ReplyDelete