So, 1st
issue is money, I can’t afford one of those plans where you pay an insane
amount of money just for people to talk at you, weigh you then charge even more
for the ‘planned meals’. The gym is also out for now – though I did get over my
dislike of the one I tried, I know not all places are the same, & I just
can’t justify it right now. And one of those ‘shake diets’ tried to kill my mom
so let’s just stay away from all those shakes and pills that do more harm than
good.
Nope,
this is going to take old fashioned work & will power – damn it! :p And a
couple of visits with a personal trainer to work out a plan (which I did
justify because I decided I would need some professional help to start and
shockingly, was cheaper than a gym membership.)
The 1st
plan of attack will be tracking everything in and everything out (ew, I know)
and everything I’m doing physically. I had an app. on my phone, but it takes
too long to load each time I open it, so it quickly got ignored. I tried a
notebook, and that may have worked before my life was on a smartphone but now I
just forget about it. Besides, I like the subtly of only pulling out my phone
to keep track. (Try pulling out a little notebook throughout the day and see
how many people question it.) Nobody cares what you’re doing with your phone.
So I created my own tracking system on my phone, it may not make sense to
anyone else, but it’s not for them. It’s also the same method I’ve been using
for my budget every day and when I go on trips. It’s helped a lot, and I’m
already used to using it so I have high hopes.
Anyway,
recently I’ve had a couple of big wake up calls (and a couple more smaller
ones) – it’s time for change and change scares the hell out of me. I need help
(it’s the 1st step, right?) So I’m being brave – I’m starting a new
lifestyle.
The keeping track of what you eat it a GREAT idea. Hopefully, then you can begin to see problem areas, etc. Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteHere's a few things I suggest.
ReplyDeleteThis may sound silly, but I wrote down all of the things I dislike about being overweight and enjoyed when I was thinner. Not criticisms of your body, but the way it affects your life like "hard to find pants that fit properly." or "uncomfortable in small seating at certain movie theaters" (these are both from mine, btw). Then, when I'm questioning why I bother with all of this diet stuff, or if I'm being tempted to fall off the wagon, I pull out the list and read it. Is this ice cream more important than all of the things on that list? Usually my answer is no, and it helps me get a little resolve.
Teach yourself to eat as many vegetables as possible. Eat one piece for 10 days, and you'll be able to tolerate it in the future (supposedly).
If you fall off the wagon and eat something you vowed you wouldn't, or eat over the portion you had intended,or skip a workout, forgive yourself and get back on track. DO NOT let it give you license to be "bad" all night. Trust me, this has been my downfall a few times. (Always my advice for smokers trying to quit too).
Share Share Share. When you find a great recipe, or fun exercise tip, share it on facebook. Great conversations and interchanges can start up that way, and it's amazing how inspiring others can be. Asking for recipes that others have that are healthy versions of your favorite foods can be a good way to start.
You can do it, believe in yourself!
"May the odds be ever in your favor!"
Post this note on your refrigerator. Works for me.
ReplyDeleteTo lengthen thy life
Lessen thy meals
--Benjamin Franklin
Thanks for the instant support!
ReplyDeleteFor all of my love of lists and pro/cons lists, I didn't think to do that. :/ will start that tonight.
I also was hoping to try the 21 days to a new habit theory, too - especially with the workouts.
(And I think I shared my Harry Potter workout plan on Pinterest...I may use it with the books. ;D )
And Whit, love the quote.
Kimba: Come join us at Blogstream. Some of us who like to write are trying to breathe new life into the site.
ReplyDeleteHave you visited the site myfitnesspal.com Awesome free calorie and exercise counter and reference. I love it there.
ReplyDeleteCheck it out and I am at it again as well!