Friday, April 15, 2011

The Bane of My Summer

These are Boxelder bugs (the question was asked recently what they were...you're very lucky)...
They are annoying little black and red things that love Sun, warm areas and a little rain.
To get my facts straight, I of course went to Wikipedia for some technical information:
Boisea trivittata is an American species of true bug, commonly known as the Box Elder Bug, the Zug, or Maple Bug. It is found primarily on boxelder trees, as well as maple and ash trees. The adults are about 12½ mm (½ in) long with a dark brown or black coloration, relieved by red wing veins and markings on the abdomen; nymphs are bright red.
Biology and taxonomy
These highly specialized insects feed almost exclusively on the seeds of Acer species. The boxelder bug is sometimes known as a garage beetle or may be confused with other Jadera spp., especially Boisea rubrolineata. The name "stink bug," which is more regularly applied to the family Pentatomidae, is sometimes used to refer to Boisea trivittata. Instead, these insects belong to the family Rhopalidae, the so-called "scentless plant bugs". However, boxelder bugs are redolent and will release a pungent and bad-tasting compound upon being disturbed to discourage predation; this allows them to form conspicuous aggregations without being preyed on.

In other words, a horrid swarm of little buggers that like the South side of my house because some idot neighbor thought he'd like to plant a Boxelder tree in the front yard! Bleh!
And though they don't bite or anything, they swarm and get in everywhere, and crunch if you step on them, and do have an interesting scent when you do. (Which is also why, I think, the dogs won't eat them. Tin foil, poo, pound of butter, compost pile...sure! But little gross bugs...no thanks!)


I have begun a mission though, as mentioned I've had some very successful bug hunts. And yesterday, I decided to walk around the house after getting the mail to check out some of the gardens and saw only 2 of the little blights. Whoo!!
Quickly, I went in, dropped off the mail, and grabbed my trusty spray bottle. Filled with the only thing that seems to stop them (I've looked this up!) warm, soapy water. I don't know why, but they laugh at bug killers, are only slowed by bug bombs...a little Dawn and hot water....AHHHHH!!! NO! Run! Save Yourself!  Bbbwahahahah!
And I will admit, it's a bit fun to spray some soap near a cluster of them and watch the panic. Plus, it's cheap, smells better and doesn't hurt any of the plants.


I think I'll put the bottle on my belt (ok, I'd need to get a belt, too) and carry it with me whenever I go outside. There's a new sheriff in town.


For your enjoyment...




I took these photos with my phone before the 3rd killing spree. I did see many close-up, "pretty" photos online if you really want to see what they look like.
It seems if you keep up with the killings, they don't come back. And even, better, they're not making it inside.
So ends this lesson on the mighty Boxelder.
Lesson to be learned, find out what is attracted before planting a tree or shrub. And sometimes, you don't need chemical warfare to take down a nation.

5 comments:

  1. It seems these bugs have no natural enemies and are regarded as nuisance rather than threat to plants or animals. But I still wouldn't want to be invaded. Sounds like you have found a suitable solution without resorting to heavy chemical warfare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again with the icky bugs!! Why are you determined to coat the internet with your yucky pictures of yucky bugs!?! LOL.

    Wanted to mention, I found it difficult to read your blog (especially the article contained within), the fonts can be difficult. Just FYI.

    Anywho, have fun bug hunting :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider my question answered. In full. 100%. Okay, maybe 125%......
    Thanks for all the info and the battle report.
    Carry On!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TaoistRose: :D I found even worse, up-close ones that I decided not to post. And Thanks for the heads-up...I'll try something else.

    Skinny: I live to educate (or bore) other with my usless knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! For a moment there, I thought you had bedbugs. :)

    ReplyDelete