Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dirt Is The Cure

     I have found the cure for bad tempers! Getting dirty...no, I mean literally. Yesh.
I wasn't having a good week. I found myself snipping at loved ones, getting very angry at inanimate objects (more than usual) and not getting out of bed if I didn't have to (which was probably safer for all).
     Suddenly, something overtook me and made me go outside to try and enjoy some of the suddenly nice weather. I decided to flip the compost pile to see how it had done over the winter (very nice...lots of black dirt ready for the garden).
Since I was near the shed and the ground was soft, I thought I'd prepare some new beds for this year. Which of course led to clearing and preparing the old beds, too. And hey, while I'm at it, rake up all the old leaves and dead flowers from last year.

     ...3 hours later, I was pretty sore, but proud of what had been finished.

     The next morning found me getting up feeling refreshed and content. After getting breakfast with Mom, I headed out again. This time to trim some of the bushes and things around the yard. I was heading to the front of the house to tackle the rose bush I hate (it's way too thorny), when the nests of boxelder bugs was spotted. Thus began the 1st great bug massacre of 2011. Many bugs lost their homes to the hot soapy water.
     Again, I felt the pleasure of a job done along with lots of exercise. While at the same time, I noticed all anger and frustration I'd been feeling was gone. And frankly, I was too tired to fight with anyone.
     So here's the lesson everyone, go outside! You don't have to touch the dirt if you don't want to, but feel the warm sun, soak in some of that Vit.D and exercise your body out in Mother Nature's arms. It's so much better than watching t.v. and heck even reading seems better outdoors. To those in the areas of the country like me, celebrate the fact the snow's gone, the coats are gone and we're free at last!
    
      Here it is a couple of weeks later, and the feelings are still good. (A nice visit with friends helped keep it going, too.) I'm a little annoyed that I've caught a cold and am missing all this lovely weather. Especially since it's going to start raining this weekend so I'll be better but unable to play outside.
      Let's see if cleaning and organizing the inside of the house works just as well...stay tuned.
the front yard greenies
and newly uncovered south-side greenies

4 comments:

  1. Great words of wisdom!! Get outside! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing that there is something cleansing about getting naturally dirty?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck are boxelder bugs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HD - thanks, I think I'll be posting more pics as progress continues

    Mister O - I never thought about it that way! I like it.

    Skinny - the bane of my existence...for now. And you've just inspired a new blog. thanks

    ReplyDelete