Alright, it’s been 3 years today. My father went away and my
life took a turn. I won’t say for the worse…or for the better. Frankly, I’m in
sort of limbo area still.
Things have slowly become better and fallen into a routine.
My job is stable and recently I was given a bonus, got employee of the year and
nominated for employee of the year for the nation. (I made it into the top 24,
but not the top 8 to get a trip to FL). Yay!... aw… :)
Other than that, I’m getting so tired of the life in my old
home town and living in a one bedroom space.
I know possessions are really so important, but damn it, I’m
really tired of saying “it’s in storage” and not seeing the majority of my
belongings in almost 3 years. I guess it means when I finally do get everything
back, I’m going to have one hell of a garage sale since obviously I don’t need
most of these things.
But today, I’m thinking about Dad and I’d like to share
another story with you that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.
The year we first learned of Dad’s insane green thumb: We’d
just moved to a house of our own (before that, we lived in apartments or
townhouses) and had a very large yard. Dad was really excited and planned a
large veggie garden. He made rows for each vegetable and went to planting. After
stopping my sister/helper who was following along picking up each seed he
dropped, he made each row. The issue was, he thought, ‘one seed, one tomato’
and sowed several seeds for plants. The plants came up, and choked out the rest
of the patch. We had a tomato garden that year. And every person who came to
the door, no matter the reason, got a bag of tomatoes. It did start the
tradition of making vats of spaghetti sauce which we froze in the deep freeze
to last all winter. He then got things under control, but never the green
thumb. We had foot-long cucumbers, pumpkins which grew up the corn stalks,
sunflowers taller than the shed, and of course thousands of tomatoes. One year,
he made tiered flower beds and ‘wrote’ each of our names out in colored marigolds
then wrote our family name across the front of the yard. We had so many people
drive by and stop to look that year (and Dad would spend a lot of time outside,
we think, just to be there to talk with them).
It still continued, even after we moved, and he established
the landscaping around the current house now to the point of not needing much
work other than cleaning out the beds each year. As I discovered the first
Spring after moving back – the whole year burst into life on its own. It’s one
of the things I’d miss greatly about selling the house. I hope I can channel
some of his skill and take cuttings of two flowering bushes he brought up from
his own childhood home (in MS) and was able to keep up here
I also have decided that it would be better not to ever
drive by just in case it’s all been changed. It was something he was so proud
of and loved dearly and put so much effort into, I would hate to lose it, too.



Kimba,
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid neither of my thumbs is a green one, but our crop of weeds this New Zealand summer has been phenomenal. Do love home grown tomatoes though.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAh yes, my strawberry-turned-weed patch was wonderful last year. But I also had a lawn turn into a field of small purple flowers (not the top photo) which I loved but was told were weeds - which then turned into a debate over what makes weeds 'weeds'.
ReplyDeleteSadly, I don't like tomatoes, but Mom loves them and so do my neighbors who had sweet corn for trade.