Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Who Would You Call?



We had a recent emergency here at home. Mom was taken to ER in the middle of the night, unfortunately while I was at work. After getting all of the information from the nurse and finding that she was stable, but would be tested all night long, I decided to continue at work because 1) it was 1am and would have been almost impossible to find someone to come in and 2) Mom was in the safest place possible so there was nothing I could do. So I could cry and stress at the hospital or do the same and get paid for it and go straight to her after work.
The only problem to come up was the critters at home. We have a beagle who tends to be very destructive when left alone & 2 easily freaked out cats. All who were likely going crazy over the drama that just happened.

So I called my sister, she should know what was going on anyway, or so I thought.
The conversation was something to the tune of:
Me: Mom’s alright, but has been taken to the hospital because of … [all the information from the nurse    & talking to Mom]
Sis: Ok
Me: So do you have to work tomorrow?
Sis: No.
Me: Alright, I have a favor to ask, could you take care of the critters & put Baxter in his room for the night so he doesn’t destroy the house?
Sis: Well, I’m really tired.
Me: Okay….
Sis: I don’t think I could even stay awake to make over there.
Me: Really? You can’t go take care of something? Can you sleep when you get home again?
Sis: I just want to sleep.
Me: Fine, don’t worry about it- I’ll just clean up the mess when I get home. Sorry this is such a bother for you. Go back to sleep.
Sis: No, I’ll see if [her partner] will come with me to drive and stay awake with me.
Then she hung up on me. She called me half hour later giving me the update that the animals were taken care of, and she was going back to bed.

Sadly, this isn’t the 1st time she has proved herself to be less than useful in an emergency situation. But I still figured she ought to be updated. To her, I should have waited to call her in the morning. As was pointed out later, most people wouldn’t just want to go back to sleep after something has happened to a close family member.
On the flip side, I thankfully have a group of people I know I could call day or night, and if I really needed them (and it was possible), they would be here as soon as able. Those are the ones I look to in times of drama or just in need of a good talk or a good scream. They are the difference between family and loved ones.

Rant Over. Thank you for reading.

2 comments:

  1. You can choose your friends but family not so. How is your mother doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true - I've often wondered about all the family I wouldn't know or have any reason to acknowledge.

    Mom was in the hospital for almost a week but is home now. And actually doing even better than before. (She'd been getting ill for a while but we were ignoring the signs - always pay attention to what your body is telling you!)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete