So here’s my brave January event: I entered a Biggest Loser contest, all by myself. I have had major issues trying to do things alone. I've always needed that safety net of someone I know, can talk with or look to for support. Even worse, I had to go without any of that and walk into a gym, get interviewed, weighed and photographed.
Honestly, I came very close to changing my mind at the last minute and pretending I was only going to the grocery store next door. Instead, I sat in the car for a while making up my mind to do this. It helped to list all of the reasons I was doing this, the bravery, the contest, this would be a huge push to get into shape and of course, for something to write about.
Finally, walking in, it became easier since the people in charge were in complete chaos. I know that sounded odd, but it did help. Since they were so busy trying to figure out what the hell they were doing, I didn’t feel any judging and I was able to look around a get a feel for the place.
Also, the head trainer was so nice and friendly; he was one of those people who keeps people at ease. Also, he seemed so much younger than me, I just couldn’t feel intimated by him.
So I made it through all of that and am officially entered in the contest.
The bravery continued when I had a meeting with the personal trainer for a tour and orientation to the gym. The feel of the place is surprisingly friendly for a gym. (Not what I pictured! :D ) And there seems to be an great unspoken rule of mind your own freaking business. No one even looked up as I came into the building or watched as we went around the equipment. (The t.v.'s on every machine might feed into this.)
Then, yesterday I tried to keep the momentum going and went back to the gym the next day all alone. I did have to sit in the car again and thought of excuses not to go in. I’ve never walked into a gym and just started working out by myself before. But in the end, there I was surrounded by strangers building up a great sweat and working until my body felt like jelly. I did leave before I’d lost all energy. I refused to fall or pass out my first visit, I’d never go back after that.
I used the same motivation and the high I still felt this morning and continued the path braving not only strangers again but several inches of snow. And ended up staying even longer and sweating even more. Let's bring on the next 8 weeks!
Good luck to you on your journey to fitness. Reminds me that I should return to my former routine, even though it was not at a gym. I'll be checking back to see how you progress.
ReplyDeleteThis is sooooo great!! I look forward to reading about your adventure!
ReplyDelete