Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What Do You Believe?

While listening to the radio on the way to work tonight, I heard an interview that caught my interest. It was with a man  -the head of a Christian Church- who has started a weekly bible study at a local bar, during ‘happy hour’. He calls it “Bibles & Beers”. That was a fun idea on its own, but what got me thinking long after the program, was the listen-in on one of these meetings.
                After greeting everyone, the leader listed the rules of the group.
1. There’s no debating of ideas
2. Tip your waitress
3. Stick to the scripture
                … now, #3 I understand, and good on the guy for #2, but I take issue with #1. Not being one who would go to a Christian bible group – I can’t say I know for sure if this is normal, but if so, this would be a reason to turn away from it.
                The guy went on to explain himself against critics saying that the [Christian] church is losing popularity  with each new generation, and this is a way to be different and attract interest. And stated that in the book of Acts there’s talk of people gathering in homes to share wine and discuss what they believe and why they feel that way.
               So by his own admission, the inspiration for this guy’s meetings involves discussion of beliefs. So why the number one rule? (And how does this differ from just sitting in a pew on Sunday?) I understand that most people today can’t seem to debate without turning it into a screaming match, but that’s why the group and the leader are there. And as far as the need for young blood goes, perhaps an idea would be to let them discuss their beliefs and question their faith with others.
                Personally, being forced into a very controlled box and being told to except things blindly is why I turned away from my father’s church when I was 8 years old. I have been on a path of personal discovery for many years, and eventually did find a calling. But I learned from anything I could and of those around me (the biggest influence being my mom – who, when I 1st asked her what she believed as a kid said, ‘I belong to the church of [Diane]” and was very open with me about any issues).
                And still question the things I believe and try to understand others’ beliefs. Whether it turns out to be right or not in the end, it has brought me happiness and peace with myself. I only wish others would have the same journey and find the same peace, but most of all be able to answer the simple, but not so easy question : what do you believe? And even more important: why?

3 comments:

  1. Apparently these particular Christians are not interested in discovering if they may be wrong in any of their ideas. Not inviting debate is basically saying, "I know I'm right so lets not waste time determining that."

    You know that my journey is quite similar to yours. I'm thankful, however, to have come across many Christians in my life that were not so narrow minded and willing to discuss what they believe and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm intrigued. So...I got on the ol' Google.

    The No Debate rule is actually thus:

    1). No arguing (debating). That does not mean we cannot voice differing perspectives. We don't have to agree on everything. We can learn from each other by listening to each other. (http://www.interfaithcheyenne.org/meetings/bibles-and-beer)

    They've even got a blog here at Blogger!

    The idea is a good one...in moderation, of course. Many people use their mouths in debate much, much more than keeping it shut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimba:

    After a couple of beers, I am no good at debating anyway. :^)

    ReplyDelete