I think there should be a new category when looking at the oh-so-horrible unemployment rate – the unwilling rate. From now on, when the polling the under/unemployed, ask the follow-up “what work are you willing to do?”
Personally, I've had quiet a few jobs I didn't love (and one where I envisioned driving onto trains tracks just so I wouldn't have to deal with those people). Luckily, that place is out of business now. But I still went in – why? The simple & greedy answer: the money...to buy food, rent, bills & a new set of clothes every few months. When MBRH found out how much I made, I think I broke his brain (the face he made still makes me giggle in a sad way). He couldn't fathom the lifestyle – making 5x what I do just out of college might throw your perspective a bit. Still, he said, 'you don't seem live like you're struggling'.
Well, no I don't, at that time, I didn't have cable or internet. (I used the library's WiFi and got most of my entertainment there, too – so no buying new books, I shopped at Aldi's or DollarTree and waited for sales.) I still had enough to go out with friends once a week, but didn't go crazy. I live to a very tight budget and yet, without any assistance because (though I was told I qualified), 1) I discovered being single and childless (ie responsible) didn't help my case. 2) I didn't NEED it – I could work and make due.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of the same around me. Starting with a sibling who is angry that she can't get assistance because she and her partner both have full-time jobs and don't need the extra. And after the eating out most nights and once-a-month vacations, she doesn't see how 'they' can not help them out. After all, they have bills to pay and no money! Followed, were 2 examples of employees who quit on me because they “could make more money by not working and staying home than working all the time. How cool is that?” Yes, what a great system we have.
Now, I agree with federal assistance programs. Some people really do need some help. Just regulate the programs better, make people work to get assistance and follow up on it. Which brings me to that follow-up question.
With all the people out of work you'd think anyone would jump at any job. But wait, does it pay more than $12/hr, have full benefits, easy and consist of exactly the same duties I was doing before? No, well, I'll have to keep looking and gathering up those 'free' paychecks. Poor jobless me, this market is so hard! If only someone would give me a job!
This rant comes on the heels of a few recent incidents. The 1st was an article about the growing number of teens not working. Remember when you were a kid (assuming you were raised kind-of the same way I was) – mowing, babysitting, paper route? Then, the 1st real job – which was some 'McJob' (personally, mine was TacoBell) but whatever, PAYCHECK!
Now, it's found that kids will not settle for anything under $10 (min wage here is $8.25 as of August 2011) with as few hours as possible.
Now, let's move to the jungle, which is my backyard, I've been having trouble with my lawn mower breaking down and too much overtime at work (ironic). So I broke down and thought to hire some neighborhood kid...kid?....kid? Nope, no one around here. And the 2 I finally found through FB, wanted more than local lawn services. I did finally find a woman who had lost her job and was trying to help out the family any way she could. (YAY!) After talking to her, I discovered she was a nurse. So I told her what I did and that they were hiring. She turned her nose up at both the low pay and the physical work (um...nurse?!)
Also, 2 weeks and several call attempts later, I still need help mowing because she's just too 'sore from doing that kind of thing'. Hey, maybe TLC will give you a reality show about how hard cutting back on mani-pedis and kiddie camps to make ends meet and stay in your estate.
Finally, I'm not the only one seeing this trend. NPR has had segments featuring different small companies from around the country. 3X now, I've heard these small business owners mention who badly in need of help they are because of growth (how many tax breaks did these job creators get I wonder), but can't get anyone hired.
One mentioned money, and the others 'that no one is willing to do this work' because 'this work is hard and no seems to want to do it'.
Yes, some jobs are hard...and those people are probably getting paid the least and making due without the most.
Kimba:
ReplyDeleteA local TV news channel recently reported that avocado growers in this area are losing some of their harvest of this year's avocados for lack of workers to pick them. The job pays fairly well, but it is hard work.
Good post. I think that while the recession may be slowly changing attitudes, there's still a fair amount of "I don't want that job" around.
ReplyDelete